Animal Clinic of Milford: We Treat Your Pet Like the Valued Family Member They Are
Dr. Sasha Golovyan
1. What inspired you to become a veterinarian? As long as my parents can remember I had wanted to be a veterinarian. There was never a different career path I was willing to pursue. I was born in Kiev, Ukraine and we moved here in 1990 when I was 9 years old. My parents had to endure the countless abandoned animals I had brought home to rehabilitate, and some to keep.
2. Do you have any brothers and sisters? I have a twin brother and an older sister.
3. What is the most exotic Animal you have treated? A chameleon, not to be out done by a pigeon, chicken, or a recent seagull that was brought in.
4. Where did you earn your Bachelors? I graduated from University of Connecticut in 2003.
5. Where did you earn your Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine? Tom and I graduated from University of Minnesota in 2008. I guess you could say we were veterinary school sweethearts.
6. What did you do before you ended up at Animal Clinic of Milford? After veterinary school I completed an intensive rotating medicine and surgical internship at VCA Veterinary Referral and Emergency Center in Norwalk and Shoreline in Shelton CT. After this I worked for 6 years at a referral hospital, where I did general practice and emergency medicine.
7. What do you love the most about veterinary medicine? I know the close bond that owners share with their pets. I find it very rewarding to help animals and in turn see the happiness these animals bring to their families.
8. What kind of animals do you own? Our inside animals include an English Setter “Beem, Yellow Labrador “Brinkley”, Chihuahua named Monty, our cat Finn, and 2 hamsters. Our outdoor critters include a menagerie of chickens, 2 miniature horses, a rabbit, and 2 Nigerian Dwarf goats.
9. What do you do for fun? For fun I love just being with my family. We have 2 girls, Julia and Annabel who keep us very busy. On weekends you may find us at Cape cod, petting zoos, home with our animals, or doing outdoor activities like biking.
Dr. Thomas Maley
1. What inspired you to become a Veterinarian? Being a veterinarian is actually a second career for me. Prior to entering veterinary school I was a real estate agent and I taught technology education to high school children. So how did I chose the veterinary field…..I knew I wanted to be a veterinarian since I was a small child and watched my dad raise and show Springer Spaniels, but like many children I did not pursue my dream. After being in a different career I knew that it was not for me, and at the age of 36 I applied and got into veterinary school. I met my wife Sasha during our first year of veterinary school together.
2. What is the most exotic animal you have treated? A leopard gecko
3. Where did you earn your Bachelor’s degree? University of Wisconsin-Stout
4. Where did you go to veterinary school? I graduated University of Minnesota in 2008
5. Where did you grow up and what kind of animals did you have growing up? I was born and raised in Minneapolis Minnesota. We had all kinds of animals growing up including springer spaniels, rabbits, cats, and ducks.
6. What brought you to CT? My wife Sasha is from Orange CT, I guess you could say I moved here for love.
7. What did you do before you ended up at Animal Clinic of Milford? I worked at multiple different hospitals including Banfield in Norwalk, VCA in Danbury, and East Hartford VCA.
8. What do you do for fun? I enjoy all kinds of outdoor activities including fishing, boating, and sailing.
9. What do you love the most about veterinary medicine? I love being able to help sick pets as well as prevent illness and practice good wellness care. I love seeing the happiness pets bring to their owners.
1. When did you first become interested in veterinary medicine? I became a certified veterinary technician in 1981 while working at an emergency veterinary hospital in Long Island. I then moved to Connecticut in 1981 and went into banking.
2. What brought you back to the veterinary field? I missed working with animals and their owners.
3. When did you join Animal Clinic of Milford? I have been at Animal Clinic of Milford since 2009.
4. What is your primary roll at Animal Clinic of Milford? I am the head receptionist and client service representative here at the clinic.
5. What do you love the most about working at Animal Clinic of Milford? I love helping people and their beloved pets.
6. What kind of pets to you own? Our fur family consists of Monty a Sheltie, 2 Chihuahuas, and 3 cats that are all rescues.
7. If your pets could say one thing about you what would it be? Thank you for saving me
1. When did you join Animal Clinic of Milford? I moved to Milford CT from Romania in 2006, and have been working at Animal Clinic of Milford since!
2. What is your primary role at Animal Clinic of Milford? I was trained by Dr. Tosici to be a veterinary assistant. Since then I have become proficient at animal handling and restraint, and assisting the doctor in all aspects of veterinary medicine including pet dental care and surgery.
3. What kind of pets do you own? I adopted a cat that was left at Dr.Tosici’s front door. Mr. Black and I have been inseparable ever since. Well I think he thinks I live with him, not the other way around, he is certainly the boss.
4. What is your favorite Animal? I really love them all
1. How long have you been in the veterinary industry? I have been a veterinary technician since 2007
2. Do you have any pets? 4 cats (Zapp, Shinigami, Takkun, Leela) and 2 Australian Shepherds (Neo and Homer).
3. Besides than cats and dogs, what other animals have you treated? Birds, reptiles and pocket pets. Some of the most exciting animals I’ve had the pleasure of treating have been hawks, owls and bald eagles.
4. If you weren’t in the veterinary field, what would you be doing? I originally went to school for criminal justice. I would probably do something involving forensics.
5. Do you have any siblings? 2 brothers. Eric (older) and Zach (younger).
6. What do you enjoy doing in your free time? I love music so I try and support local bands as much as I can. I have several friends who are in bands. I have met many wonderful and interesting people through music.
7. What is your favorite part about your job as a veterinary technician? I love being able to help give love and the best care to the patents. I love helping clients learn about the best care for their furry family members. Making the client and their pets feel comfortable and safe is my goal.
8. What is your favorite thing about working at The Animal Clinic of Milford? I love the closeness of the staff and the relationships with our clients. We are a family
9. What is your role at Animal Clinic of Milford? I am an assistant manager and still perform technician duties. I also help run our social media pages.
1. How long have you worked in the veterinary industry? I’ve been working in the veterinary industry for about three and a half years, since January of 2012.
2. What is your favorite part about working with animals? I would definitely have to say working with puppies and kittens is the best part. We see a lot of cute puppies and kittens, and I would like to take them all home, but that’s just not possible, unfortunately.
3. What is your favorite animal? It has to be cats. They are so elegant, adorable, intelligent, and independent.
4. Do you own any pets? If so, what kind? I have three cats, Petrica Grigore, and Binky.
5. What is your primary role at Animal Clinic of Milford? I am a customer service representative at Animal Clinic of Milford.
6. If your pets could talk, what is 1 thing they would say about you? “She’s nice, but I wish she would feed us more Fancy Feast. That’s the good stuff.”
1. When did you first become interested in veterinary medicine? When I was a little girl, I always had a passion for animals. I went to a vo-ag high school in which I studied veterinary science. After high school I started working at an animal hospital in Cheshire and learned all my skills on the job.
2. When did you join Animal Clinic of Milford? I joined in March of 2015.
3. What is your primary role at Animal Clinic of Milford? I am a manager at Animal Clinic of Milford and still work as a technician and sometimes receptionist. I am good at multi-tasking.
4. What do you love the most about working at Animal Clinic of Milford? I love helping pets and their people. It’s an extremely rewarding job.
5. What kind of pets to you own? I have a rescue cat named Spider-man (named by my son Tanner).
6. What is your favorite thing to do in your spare time? I love spending my time with my son Tanner. We play, learn, dance and love the outdoors.
1. When did you first become interested in veterinary medicine? Ever since I was a little child I have loved animals and I always knew I wanted to do something with them when I grew up. When I was five, my mother finally gave in and bought me a puppy… (she says she did it to make me stop acting like one!)…and it was then that my passion for animals truly began.
2. What do you enjoy most about being in this field? What I really enjoy about working with animals is learning about them, their behavior and what makes them tick (or bark or meow). I am happy to know that I am helping them stay healthy and helping their owners learn how to keep them healthy and safe.
3. Where did you get your Vet Tech education? Currently I am enrolled in a Vet Tech program in Norwalk, Connecticut. I also spent a year after high school studying Wildlife Rehabilitation at Lees McRae College in North Carolina. I also get great training here at Animal Clinic of Milford from Dr. Golovyan and Dr. Maley.
4. Do you have any pets? Yes, I currently have a dog named Preston and a cat named Vlad. I also have an African Pygmy Hedgehog named Samson, two mice (Venus and Mars), and a betta fish named Igor.
5. What do you enjoy doing in your spare time? In my free time I enjoy playing tennis, listening to music, taking road trips with my best friend, relaxing on the beach, baking, and doing crafts of various sorts. However, my favorite thing to do is spending quality time snuggling and playing with my fur babies.
6. What is your favorite thing about working at The Animal Clinic of Milford? I really enjoy working with our staff, which is so friendly and helpful. I enjoy learning about veterinary medicine, and I really love getting to know and work closely with our animal patients and their owners.
1. How long have you been in the veterinary industry? 4 years
2. Do you own any pets? Yes I have two cats, Lola and Cosmo
3. What is your favorite to do in your spare time? I love going to the beach and just about any outdoor activity. I love being with my boyfriend and my good friends.
4. What is your primary role at Animal Clinic of Milford? I am a veterinary technician at Animal Clinic of Milford.
5. Where did you go to school? I went to Norwalk Community College for my Veterinary Assistant certificate. I am currently enrolled at Penn Foster College for my veterinary technician degree
6. Do you have any siblings? Yes one older brother.
7. Where did you grow up? I grew up here in Milford CT.
8. What kind of animals did you have growing up? I had a German Shepherd named Tessa, a Doberman Pincher named Barron, and 4 cats-Casey, Ziggy, Mittens, and Peepers.
1. What is your primary role at Animal Clinic of Milford? I am a client service representative here at Animal Clinic of Milford.
2. How long have your worked in the veterinary field? I’ve been working in the veterinary industry for about 6 years now.
3. What kind of pets do you own? I have a dog (Francesca), a cat (Pumpkin) and an orange betta fish (Michelangelo)- my son named him.
4. If your pets could say one thing about you what would it be? “We love you but enough is enough with these little holiday sweaters”
5. What do you like best about working at Animal Clinic of Milford? I love how friendly and helpful our entire staff is with both our clients and with each other.
6. What is your favorite part about working with animals? My favorite part about working with animals would have to be seeing pets who were brought in sick or injured coming back to the clinic happy and feeling better, it warms you right up inside. Oh and of course puppies and kittens are a close second.
7. What do you like to do in your spare time? In my spare time I enjoy playing, learning and exploring with my son Jaxson. I love spending time with friends and family.
8. What is your favorite animal? I love all animals! They all have their own personalities and awesome qualities, it’s impossible to choose.